It Has To Be True, I Feel It…
We’ve heard it in movies, perhaps even read it in books. That affirmation of belief in something, and why? Because of a feeling in their gut.
At the same time, we’ve also seen this:
- You can’t cry, only the weak cry.
- It’s not good to be angry, you’ll lash out and hurt everyone, including yourself.
- You shouldn’t be happy, especially while he or she is hurting.
It’s amazing how misconstrued our emotions have become. Somehow, we’ve come to believe one, if not both, of these misconceptions about what we feel.
Emotions are inherently wrong or sinful and should be repressed.
That because we feel a certain way, something must be true.
Our emotions are a powerful thing. They can motivate us in some of the best and worst ways if we don’t rein them in.
How What We Feel Guides Our Thoughts
Satan has a way of using our emotions to his advantage. For example, he wants us to believe that if we feel:
- If we feel unloved, we’re unloved.
- If we feel we can’t cope with the pressure, it must be true that we can’t make it.
- If we feel God has deserted us or acted unjustly, God has let us down.
- If we feel our situation is hopeless, then there must be no hope.
- If we don’t feel saved, then maybe we aren’t.
- If we don’t feel forgiven, then we mustn’t be.
What we often don’t realize is that just because we feel something doesn’t make it so. Our emotions, when they are tied to circumstances instead of truths, will change and fluctuate often.
Without a firm anchor, we’re going on an emotional roller coaster.
The Truth We Don’t See
When we’re riding the ups and downs of an emotional roller coaster, the one thing we need to do, but seldom do is seek the truth.
The Truth Is…
- God is Good. – For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations. – Psalm 100:5
- God loves you. – Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 8:35-39
- We are forgiven. – In Him, we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace. – Ephesians 1:7
- God will NOT leave or forsake you. – Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you. – Deuteronomy 31:6
Our emotions aren’t trustworthy, but our God is.