James, like Peter, was known by more than one name. He was also called:
- One of the “Sons of Thunder
- James, “Son of Zebedee”
- The Greater
He was one of four people in the New Testament with the name of James. What is it though that makes this particular James so unique outside of being a disciple?
- James was from humble beginnings. He was a fisherman.
- James likely earned his name as one of the Sons of Thunder on account of his passion, ambition, and zeal.
- James of Zebedee or James The Greater, was one of the first disciples to be martyred in roughly 44 AD.
- He was also one of those inside Jesus’ inner circle of followers.
- He was one of the few who witnessed the Transfiguration.
- James The Greater is not the author of the book of the New Testament book of James. (Which I admit, I once believed, until I took the time to read a bit more about the book of James and begin studying James of Zebedee.)